The Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences is creating an environment that affirms community across all dimensions. We particularly welcome applicants who can contribute to such an environment through their scholarship, teaching, mentoring, and professional service. If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352-392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800-955-8771 (TDD) or visit Accessibility at UF .
The University of Florida (UF) is a Land Grant institution with core values of unique purpose, excellence, integrity, collaboration and partnership, lifelong learning, diversity, responsiveness, innovation, communication, and global reach. The Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (IFAS) employs more than 2,000 faculty and staff statewide. IFAS Extension employs 375 Extension Agents and has an office in each of Florida’s 67 counties.
We hire the best. Diverse views and experience make us strong. We look for candidates with both academic and people skills who work well in teams, honor their commitments, innovate in a rapidly changing world, and believe in inclusion. Working for Florida Extension will allow you to make a positive impact in your community as you help shape future generations, growing your career while earning a competitive salary and great benefits.
As a 4-H Extension Agent and County Extension Director (CED), you will work jointly for UF/IFAS Extension in the Northwest Extension District and Jefferson County in the Florida panhandle. We are looking for an individual that is a self-starting, energetic, and team-oriented leader. Your Extension programming will cover Volunteer and Youth development and leadership. The CED/4-H Extension role has focus areas of: 1) Volunteer development; 2) Youth development; and 3) Extension leadership.
As the CED/4-H Agent, you will lead, manage, supervise, coordinate, and report on the total Jefferson County Extension program (four County Extension Faculty including yourself). You will demonstrate excellent customer service, and you will respond to client needs in a timely and professional manner. Your office will be located at the Jefferson County Extension Office in Monticello.
What you will do:
- Maintain, foster, and build effective working relationships with county government, community leaders, private sector clientele, media, other government agencies, the public, and UF/IFAS faculty, staff, and Extension administration.
- Supervise, mentor, and evaluate county faculty with programs in agriculture and natural resources, livestock, and family and consumer sciences, and county support staff.
- Manage the business side of the Extension Office including financial and compliance policies and procedures.
- Maintain a total of 79 acres of diverse property that includes open pasture, pecan groves, wetlands, wooded areas, horse arena, and office site.
- Collaborate closely with the county administrator to secure essential resources and support for UF/IFAS Extension Jefferson County.
- Seek and obtain financial resources from the community to support your Extension programs and UF/IFAS Extension Jefferson County.
- Maintain a fleet of county vehicles.
- Develop and follow a strategic plan focused on marketing Extension’s success.
- Maintain an overall advisory committee that reflects county demographics and effectively advocates for Cooperative Extension within the community.
- Plan, develop, teach, implement, and evaluate a comprehensive and diverse volunteer and youth development educational program to meet the needs of the diverse population in Jefferson County and the Northwest Extension District.
- Use varied teaching methods to reach clientele including virtual and social media.
- Use computer technology and social media for marketing, communication, teaching, and program management.
- Use resourcefulness, creativity, enthusiasm, and innovation to strengthen current educational programs and expand potential educational programs.
- Determine program responsibilities locally through needs assessments.
- Maintain an effective 4-H program advisory committee and 4-H association with appropriate community representation.
- Write an annual plan of work and report of accomplishment.
- Work in the role of an Educational first responder for county and university functions during natural disasters.
- Adhere to all University of Florida and Jefferson County government policies and procedures and provide leadership for management of all program components.
- Occasionally assume other responsibilities to benefit the total county Extension program as assigned by the District Extension Director and County Administrator.
Faculty in the Jefferson County Extension Office with CED qualifications are eligible to apply.
Employment is contingent on the results of a national background screening.
Jefferson County is in the Florida panhandle reaching from the Gulf of Mexico to the Georgia state line. Jefferson County is home to several historic sites and neighbors Tallahassee, Florida’s capitol, and Thomasville, GA. Its population is 14,510.
Extension is a partnership between state, federal, and county governments to provide scientific knowledge and expertise to the public. As such, all partners are involved in the supervision of the office and contribute to the salary and support resources. The primary goal of Extension is to disseminate the latest knowledge and applicable technologies in agriculture, human and natural resources, and the life sciences to sustain and enhance the quality of human life. The UF/IFAS mission is accomplished through Extension faculty members, scientists, educators, administrative staff, and volunteers working cohesively throughout Florida’s 67 counties.
Candidates will be reviewed as applications are received, but please be aware that interviews might not be scheduled until 4 to 6 weeks after the position closing date.
Apply at Careers at UF by 11:55 p.m. (Eastern) of the posting end date, and attach:
- Cover letter that describes how your experience and qualifications have prepared you for this position
- Résumé or Curriculum vitae
- Unofficial copies of all transcripts (showing coursework) of your academic degrees
The following documents are also required and may either be submitted through the above link at the time of application, or sent separately to our office (below).
- Current and Previous Employment Form
- A minimum of 3 reference rating forms from your professional/academic references. Applicants are responsible for sending the rating form link to their references.
- Reference forms will be kept on file for 1 year and will be automatically used with any of our extension agent positions you apply for during that time.
Reference rating forms and unofficial transcripts not submitted at the time of application should be submitted/postmarked by the next business day after the position’s closing date. They may be submitted to:
UF IFAS Human Resources
Faculty Recruitment and Hiring
P O Box 110281
Gainesville, FL 32611-0281
Fax: (352) 392-3226
Selected candidate will be required to provide an official transcript to the hiring department upon hire. A transcript will not be considered “official” if a designation of “Issued to Student” is visible. Degrees earned from an education institution outside of the United States are required to be evaluated by a professional credentialing service provider approved by National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).
Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the US. The University of Florida is a public institution and subject to all requirements under Florida Sunshine and Public Record laws.
The University of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Institution. The University and greater Gainesville community enjoy a diversity of cultural events, restaurants, year-round outdoor recreational activities, and social opportunities.