POSITION VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Assistant Communications Specialist, Editor & Writer
Work Location: LSU AgCenter Communications, LSU Campus, Knapp Hall, Baton Rouge, LA.
Job Description: The LSU AgCenter is seeking talented, highly organized, deadline-driven editor and writer to join the organization’s Communications news team.
This position’s primary function is to use communications methods to increase the availability of AgCenter information to various audiences. This position will be part of the LSU AgCenter Communications Department, which serves research, extension, and teaching for the LSU AgCenter and the LSU College of Agriculture.
The preferred candidate will possess strong editing skills, thorough knowledge of Associated Press Style and familiarity with other styles, and a demonstrated record of engaging and creative writing. Website, photography and videography experience is a plus.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Edit research and extension online and print publications, exhibits, marketing materials, grants and educational resources.
- Work with the design and publications team on the development, tracking and distribution of educational materials. (300 + a year).
- Work with authors on authentication of publication content against plagiarism and to properly site content use.
- Serve on the editorial board of the Louisiana Agriculture magazine and contribute content to the magazine.
- Work with the design and marketing team to write copy for marketing and promotional materials.
- Assist with social media messaging.
- Write and edit news articles and website content as needed.
- Offer editing assistance and training to faculty and staff.
- Help manage and maintain LSU AgCenter news webpages.
- Photograph AgCenter events, research projects and news opportunities as needed.
- Help maintain the AgCenter’s photo archive.
- Work with the external and internal online store as needed.
- Represent LSU AgCenter Communications at state, regional and national communications and agricultural organizations and conferences. Supports administrators with presentations, speech and interview preparation.
- Serve on AgCenter committees and assist with special events.
- Perform other duties as required and assigned.
In-state travel and flexible scheduling outside of traditional office hours are required.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: Bachelor's degree in Public Relations, Marketing, Journalism or Communications. Other closely related degrees may be accepted if combined with a minimum of four years of professional level experience directly related to this position. Master's degree in Public Relations, Marketing, or Communications is preferred.
Salary and Benefits: Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. The LSU AgCenter has an attractive benefits package with a wide variety of benefit options. Benefits offered include retirement, multiple medical insurance options, supplemental insurances (dental, life, long-term disability, accident, vision, long-term care, etc.), Tax Saver Flexible Benefits Plan (saves tax dollars on some child care and medical expenses), university holidays (14 per year, typically includes a week off at Christmas), generous annual (vacation) and sick leave benefits, Employee Assistance Program. Possibility of educational leave and tuition exemption for coursework towards a master’s or Ph.D. degree at campuses of the LSU System. Specific benefits depend on job category, percent effort and length of employment.
Application Deadline: March 24, 2022, or until a suitable candidate is identified
Date Available: Upon completion of the selection process.
Application Procedure: Apply online at https://lsu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/LSU (or through Workday for internal applicants) by attaching a cover letter with resume including a statement of professional interest and goals, university transcripts and two letters of reference. Paper, faxed or e-mailed application materials will not be accepted. In lieu of attaching the letters of reference, they may be sent directly to:
LSU AgCenter Communications Director
141 Knapp Hall
Baton Rouge, La 70803
The LSU Agricultural Center is a statewide campus of the LSU System and provides equal opportunities in programs and employment. An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer