Position overview Position title:
Executive Director - The Eric & Wendy Schmidt Center for Data Science & Environment- Department of Environmental Science, Policy & Management
Executive Director Salary range:
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Percent time:
The appointment will be at 100% time. Anticipated start:
Spring 2022 Position duration:
The initial appointment will be for one year with the possibility of extension based on performance and availability of funding. Application Window
April 20th, 2022
Most recent review date:
Friday, Jun 3, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Thursday, Jun 30, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Department of Environmental Science, Policy & Management (ESPM) seeks applicants for the position of Executive Director for the Eric & Wendy Schmidt Center for Data Science & Environment (DS4E) at the University of California, at Berkeley (UCB).
The Schmidt DS4E Center aspires to leverage the power of interdisciplinary research to generate applied research products that will tangibly improve environmental health. This newly established Center's objective is to leverage and unite Berkeley's global leadership in computing and data science with its renowned expertise in environmental science. The Schmidt DS4E Center with involve close partnerships with researchers in UCB's Division of Computing, Data Science, and Society.
The Schmidt DS4E Center envisions achieving the mission of interconnection through:
- The creation of transformative research at the intersection between data/computational science and environmental science,
- Utilizing this research to generate practical implementations of scalable solutions to the planet's most pressing environmental problems, and
- Engaging with community stakeholders to justly co-develop and deploy said solutions in real-world environments.
Once fully formed, the Schmidt DS4E Center will include a team of researchers (e.g. machine learning and artificial intelligence researchers, software engineers), data scientists, postdoctoral scholars, environmental program managers, administrative staff, science communication experts, as well as UCB faculty and student researchers from various disciplines with a focus/interest in environmental and/or computational sciences, all of whom will collaborate to maximize the impact of the Schmidt DS4E Center. The Executive Director appointee will play a critical role in the recruitment of this diverse team.
General responsibilities of the position include: program leadership and implementation, team building, strategic partnership management, operations, impact measurement, reporting, and financial/human resource administration. This will be achieved, in part, through the following duties:
- Develop and implement the Center's strategic goals, objectives, and directives
- Participate in and guide the recruitment of the research and programming teams
- Provide guidance to the research and professional staff
- Act as primary point of contact/manage relationships between the Schmidt DS4E Center and international/federal/state governmental agencies, non-profit organizations, foundations, tech industry partners, communities, and the UCB administration
- Collaborate with the Administrative Manager to oversee the Center's facilities, budgets, and day-to-day operations
- Work closely with the Schmidt DS4E Center science communications team and Berkeley public relations staff to develop public relations and other materials for external audiences
- Prepare and disseminate reports on Center results and expenditures
- Oversee various training and community building programs, including the undergraduate and graduate internship programs
- Participate in the assessment of the program's effectiveness, and, as needed, recommend changes to its content, policies, and strategic goals
- Serve as a representative for the Center through participation on committees, professional conferences, seminars, and workshops
- Oversee the efforts being taken to solicit grants for research funding to reinforce Center programs
Qualifications Basic qualifications
(required at time of application)
Application Requirements Document requirements
- PhD, or equivalent international degree
- Demonstrated experience in one or more areas of data or computational science (e.g. machine learning, research programming)
- Direct experience or training in promoting diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in the workplace
- Management and / or leadership experience in academic and / or government agencies and / or industry
- Demonstrated experience in administrative, operational, budgetary, human resources, and financial principles and practices
- Demonstrated experience building collaborations/ networking between academia, industrial and / or governmental agencies
- Demonstrated experience or familiarity working with researchers in / from the technology industry
- Demonstrated experience or familiarity working with computationally-intensive teams and organizations
- Demonstrated experience or familiarity working with leading and staffing of teams with diverse job functions and duties
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement on Contributions to Advancing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion - Statement on your contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion, including information about your understanding of these topics, your record of activities to date, and your specific plans and goals for advancing equity and inclusion if hired at Berkeley (for additional information go to https://ofew.berkeley.edu/recruitment/contributions-diversity
- 3 required (contact information only)
Letters of recommendation may be requested during final stages of the recruitment process.
Apply link: https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/JPF03430
Help contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging are core values at UC Berkeley. Our excellence can only be fully realized by faculty, students, and academic and non-academic staff who share our commitment to these values. Successful candidates for our academic positions will demonstrate evidence of a commitment to advancing equity, inclusion, and belonging.
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
In searches when letters of reference are required all letters will be treated as confidential per University of California policy and California state law. Please refer potential referees, including when letters are provided via a third party (i.e., dossier service or career center), to the UC Berkeley statement of confidentiality (http://apo.berkeley.edu/ucb-confidentiality-policy
) prior to submitting their letter.
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy. All Covered Individuals under the policy must provide proof of Full Vaccination or, if applicable, submit a request for Exception (based on Medical Exemption, Disability, and/or Religious Objection) or Deferral (based on pregnancy) no later than the applicable deadline. Please refer to Appendix F, Section II.C. of the policy for the deadlines applicable to new University of California employees. (Capitalized terms in this paragraph are defined in the policy.) Federal, state, or local public health directives may impose additional requirements.
Positions that are represented by a collective bargaining unit or agent have particular contracts. For more information, please refer to the relevant contract: Lecturer contract
, Postdoctoral contract
, Research Series contract
, and Librarian contract
. Questions about represented positions can be directed to the hiring unit.
To apply, visit https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/JPF03430