Open Postdoctoral Scholar Position
Specializing in Soil, Water, & Nutrient Dynamics
Applications are invited for a 12-month, full-time (1.0 FTE) postdoctoral scholar position at the Hermiston Agricultural Research and Extension Center (HAREC) at Oregon State University (OSU). The successful applicant will focus on soil and water research to expand the potential for re-used water in crop production systems of the Lower Umatilla Basin. Specifically, the incumbent will independently conduct and manage a field and laboratory based research program that works with regional stakeholders and other transdisciplinary researchers to identify current bottlenecks restricting further adoption of re-used water for irrigation. Soil and plant nutrient relations, with emphasis on off target nitrogen movement with re-used water will be a focal topic of this opportunity. Applications are being accepted until March 15th, 2020 with an anticipated start date as soon as April 15th, 2020. The position is funded for 3 years with a possible extension or promotion based on performance. Evaluation of the candidate will occur on a yearly basis by the HAREC Horticulture program director and a stakeholder based advisory committee.
Stipend and benefits conform with postdoctoral scholar standards at OSU. More information about postdoctoral scholar appointments at OSU can be found at http://gradschool.oregonstate.edu/postdocs.
Duties will include, but not limited to:
- Designing, implementing, and managing research activities at field sites.
- Soil and water sample collection.
- Laboratory processing and analysis of samples.
- Processing, analyzing, and reporting on findings.
- Communicating and developing research priorities with regional re-used water producers and users.
- Potentially meeting with state agency personnel to discuss regulatory matters.
- Dissemination of findings regionally and nationally through oral presentations.
- Producing extension publications and nutrient management recommendations.
- Publish research results as lead or co-author in peer-reviewed journals and other publications as appropriate. Present results to peers and/or industry at local, national, and international meetings.
- Plan, assign, and approve daily duties for undergraduate and graduate student research assistants and laboratory technicians.
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Ph.D. in horticulture, agronomy, soil science, water resources, hydrology or a closely related field of study.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to scholarly activity through refereed journals and presentations at scientific meetings.
- Demonstrated experience in field research skills.
- Proficiency with fundamental laboratory techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work within a team structure.
- Ability to work independently in diverse environmental conditions.
- Experience in conducting applied research.
- Experience with statistical methods.
- Familiarity with sensing and monitoring instrumentation to track soil/water parameters.
- Experience working at an off-campus research station.
- Ability to work with diverse faculty, students, industry clientele, and stakeholders.
- A demonstrable commitment to diversity and inclusiveness.
Working Conditions/Work Schedule
- Research will be conducted at HAREC and at grower-collaborator field sites that will require travel using an OSU vehicle.
- Work may require lifting, pushing, or pulling up to 50 lbs.
- Tasks may require work outdoors in all weather conditions for extended periods.
- Must be able to walk on uneven terrain.
- Non-standard hours may be required during peak times of the field season.
How to Apply
Email application containing PDF documents of the following materials to:
Dr. Scott Lukas at email@example.com
1) Cover Letter
3) Unofficial graduate transcripts
4) Names and contact information for at least three professional references 5) Brief writing sample
For full consideration, apply before March 15, 2020. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Please direct questions about this position to firstname.lastname@example.org
Oregon State University is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer.