The Food Science and Nutrition Department in the College of Agriculture, Food, and Environmental Sciences at California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, is seeking a full-time, academic year, tenure-track assistant/associate professor of Food Science. The starting date is September 10, 2020. Rank and salary are commensurate with qualifications and experience. The College of Agriculture, Food and Environmental Sciences has started the construction of a multidisciplinary building of $125 million that will benefit this position with seven food and nutrition research labs including a culinary suite, a sensory laboratory, two food safety laboratories, and a food chemistry and analytical laboratory.
The ideal candidate will have broad food science education including but not limited to expertise in the areas of quality assurance/control, food and beverage processing and their interrelationship with the development of foods and food safety.
The candidate’s primary teaching contribution will be in quality assurance/control and food processing; other teaching responsibilities will be in undergraduate and graduate courses that may include but are not limited to food packaging, food engineering, and introductory food science, as well as dairy/dairy alternative and meat science.
Course descriptions are available at http://catalog.calpoly.edu/coursesaz/nr/
In addition to teaching, the successful candidate is expected to pursue research and professional activities. The candidate will establish and maintain positive collaborative relationships with industry and government stakeholders in the food science sector, and advise and involve undergraduate and graduate students in hands-on-learning activities. Service activities will include participation on department, college, and university committees and instructionally related activities.
- Doctorate degree in Food Science or related field by start date.
- Experience and commitment to undergraduate and graduate student-centered learning and teaching.
- Ability to be a productive team player and to interact well with peers, students, industry, government agencies, California industry and the general public.
- Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to initiate, complete, secure external funding for, and publish research.
- Experience in quality assurance/control, food processing.
- Industry and/or regulatory/governmental agencies experience.
- Record of excellence in teaching and research.
- Experience in working with diverse populations and fostering a collaborative, supportive and inclusive environment.