POSITION VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
(This is a grant-funded, non-tenure track position)
WORK LOCATION: The Louisiana State University Agricultural Center – School of Plant, Environmental and Soil Sciences, Baton Rouge, LA.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Seeds to Success: The Louisiana Farm to School Program is a collaborative effort to support the implementation of farm to school programming around the state, support farm to school activities, and build a local, sustainable food economy while stimulating economic development in communities. The Extension Associate is responsible to the Louisiana Farm to School (LA F2S) Program Executive Director and works under the direction of the LA F2S Program Director, and alongside the Farm to School Team. The successful candidate will plan, coordinate, and evaluate Farm to School Programs, including Seeding Louisiana and Louisiana MarketMaker.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Farm to School Program Manager will manage the Seeding Louisiana and Louisiana MarketMaker programs, actively recruit and support schools participating in farm to school activities, facilitate communication and networking, and provide technical assistance and trainings to schools to ensure they have the tools for success. This position will involve statewide travel and overnights as needed.
Job Responsibilities Include:
- Coordination, implementation and evaluation of the Seeding Louisiana farm to school program activities.
- Provide relevant materials to keep the farm to school website updated.
- Serve as the primary contact for program troubleshooting and technical assistance.
- Administer and analyze annual program evaluation to monitor program efficacy and inform improvements.
- Manage the activities of the Louisiana MarketReady program; website, social media, and outreach.
- Create and present annual program reports.
- Develop new resources and trainings, as needed.
- Assist with the planning, coordinating, and evaluation of the annual LA F2S conference.
- Research and recruit potential schools and school districts to participate in LA F2S programs and conduct program evaluations.
- Provide technical assistance to schools by phone, email or in person, including one-on-one assistance as needed, to assist with successful implementation of farm to school programming.
- Assist in the provision of resources to ensure the comprehensive health, nutrition, science, and social aspects of school gardens and F2S programs occurring in community settings.
- Plan and conduct regional trainings for schools with assistance from the Louisiana Farm to School Team.
- Additional duties may be assigned as the program moves forward.
A Bachelor’s degree in education, vocational or agricultural education, horticultural/agricultural sciences, or closely related areas and three years or more professional level work experience in the education field. Or Master’s degree in a field listed above AND at least one year of experience implementing and evaluating a hands-on curriculum. Previous experience in implementing hands-on science or farm to school programs as well as evaluation and reporting a priority. The applicant must demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills. The applicant must demonstrate effective organization, administration and interpersonal communication, as well as networking skills and the ability to direct others such as university students. Ability to set priorities, and to work on multiple projects with and through others is essential as well as the ability to function with minimal supervision. Successful candidates will exemplify a positive attitude and a passion to improve the lives of others. Must exhibit initiative and resourcefulness and work cooperatively in a positive team environment. Ability to work occasional evening and weekend meetings and events statewide.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Salary will be commensurate with education and experience. The LSU AgCenter has a wide variety of benefit options. Current benefits offered include retirement, multiple medical insurance options, supplemental insurances (dental, life, long-term disability, accident, vision, long-term care, etc.), Tax Saver Flexible Benefits Plan (saves tax dollars on some child care and medical expenses), university holidays (14 per year, typically includes a week off at Christmas), generous annual (vacation) and sick leave benefits, Employee Assistance Program, and possible educational leave and tuition exemption for coursework at campuses of the LSU System. Specific benefits depend on job category, percent effort and length of employment.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: July 7, 2022 or until a suitable candidate is located.
DATE AVAILABLE: Upon completion of selection process.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Must apply online at https://LSU.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/LSU (or through Workday for internal applicants) by attaching cover letter with resume, official transcripts, curriculum vitae and contact information for three references. (Paper, faxed or e-mailed application materials will not be accepted.) For more information contact:
Dr. Carl Motsenbocker
School of Plant, Environment and Soil Sciences
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70803
Phone: (225) 578-1036
The LSU Agricultural Center is a statewide campus of the LSU System and provides equal opportunities in programs and employment.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.