Professor and Department Head
Department of Agricultural Leadership, Education and Communication
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Department of Agricultural Leadership, Education and Communication (ALEC, https://alec.caes.uga.edu/) offers multi-disciplinary teaching, research and extension programs aimed at developing and supporting professionals for agricultural leadership, nonformal or formal agricultural and environmental education, and agricultural and science communication. We offer personal attention and a challenging, yet supportive, learner-centered educational environment. Our college and the ALEC Department offer a small school atmosphere amidst the abundant opportunities and resources at the University of Georgia. We offer a solid curriculum designed to prepare undergraduate and graduate students with opportunities for personal and professional growth and development. Our faculty are highly rated for their teaching, research, and Extension programs. Their areas of focus include teacher education, agricultural and science communication, Extension education, environmental education, leadership development, service learning, interdisciplinary education, program development and evaluation, internationalization of the curriculum, international development, distance education, information and technology transfer, and organizational/community change. ALEC faculty are housed on the Athens and Tifton campuses. The position will be located at the UGA Athens Campus.
- Provide academic and administrative leadership to faculty, staff, and students in the department;
- Provide fiscal and operational oversight of all research and educational programs of the department;
- Provide innovative leadership in planning, implementing, and evaluating departmental programs and communicating these goals to internal and external audiences;
- Develop and maintain world-class instructional programs to support disciplines represented in ALEC;
- Assist faculty in successful research agenda development and grantsmanship;
- Facilitate the development of a faculty and alumni with skills for a future workforce dedicated to excellence;
- Cooperate and collaborate with other department heads and College administration in the development and implementation of departmental programs;
- Work closely with the Georgia Department of Education leaders, Georgia Agribusiness, and Advisory Boards to enhance the reputation of ALEC and CAES and support employment opportunities for graduates;
- Maintain productive working relationships with alumni and ALEC constituent groups (Agriculture Teachers, Extension Professionals, Agribusiness Leaders, etc.);
- Collaborate with other departments, universities, and state and federal agencies;
- Represent ALEC interests with stakeholder groups; and
- Ensure the recruitment, teaching, and training of high caliber undergraduate and graduate students.
QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates should hold a Ph.D. in Agricultural Leadership, Agricultural Education, Agricultural or Science Communication or related field. Candidates currently active in academia as well as those currently active in non-profits, government agencies, research organizations, conservatories, and/or industry are encouraged to apply. The successful candidate must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and demonstrate excellence in research, grantsmanship, teaching, and outreach with the ability to lead and manage at a high level. Appointment and Tenure information can be found here: https://provost.uga.edu/_resources/documents/Agricultural_Leadership_Educat…. To be eligible for tenure upon appointment, candidates must be appointed as a full professor, have been tenured at a prior institution, and bring a demonstrably national reputation to the institution. Candidates must be approved for tenure upon appointment before hire.
POSITION AVAILABLE: January 1st, 2021.
SALARY: This is a 12-month tenure-track or tenured on appointment position. Starting salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. A comprehensive benefits package is included.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: All application materials must be submitted via http://www.ugajobsearch.com/postings/149220. Materials to be uploaded include (1) letter of interest detailing your vision for the department and the department head’s role in the ALEC department and how the qualifications are met; (2) curriculum vitae, (3) academic transcripts. Please be aware that only finalists will be requested to provide at least three names to be contacted for letters of reference. To receive optimal consideration, applications should be submitted prior to September 1st, 2020; however, screening will continue until the position is filled.
Inquiries about the position should be directed to Dr. Francis Fluharty, Department Head and Search Committee Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org, 706-542-1017. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR (email@example.com). Please do not contact the department or search committee with such requests. Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (http://www.uga.edu). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,600 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 36,000 students including over 27,500 undergraduates and over 8,500 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens. The UGA Athens Campus, one of the premier agricultural research centers in the region, lies in the heart of one of the nation’s fastest-growing areas.