You Belong at a University that’s Leading the Way
The University of Florida (UF), the flagship university for the state of Florida, is a land grant institution with core values of unique purpose, excellence, integrity, collaboration and partnership, lifelong learning, diversity, responsiveness, innovation, communication, and global reach.
The Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (IFAS) is committed to creating an environment that affirms diversity across a variety of dimensions, including ability, class, ethnicity/race, gender identity and expression. We particularly welcome applicants who can contribute to such an environment through their scholarship, teaching, mentoring, and professional service. We strongly encourage historically underrepresented groups to apply.
If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352-392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800-955-8771 (TDD) or visit Accessibility at UF.
This full-time permanent status-accruing 4-H Youth Development Extension Agent will plan, develop, implement, and evaluate comprehensive and diverse educational programs in 4-H Youth Development, working as part of a team with local citizens, county/state Extension colleagues, agencies, and organizations that are concerned with the needs and well-being of area youth. The Agent will target programs to reflect the county’s population diversity and unique educational needs.
The candidate will be able to:
- Lead and manage program components like policies, enrollments and records, risk management, communications, and educational materials.
- Establish and maintain an effective system for accountability and public information to all relevant individuals, groups, organizations, and agencies.
- Develop, sustain, and monitor the effectiveness of a volunteer system to support the 4-H program including recruitment, development, evaluations, and recognition.
- Cultivate an area of youth development expertise to share across county lines.
- Produce creative works like presentations, posters, website development, and videos; write non-technical, people- friendly publications; and participate in professional societies.
- Lead and manage private financial resources to support 4-H programming and ensure all financial policies are followed.
- Ensure that all Florida 4-H youth protection policies are adhered to by screening and training all 4-H volunteers.
- Establish a local advisory committee and maintain an effective county 4-H Association.
UF/IFAS employs more than 2,000 faculty and staff statewide. UF/IFAS Extension is a partnership between state, federal, and county governments with a mission of providing quality, relevant education, and research-based expertise to foster healthy people, a healthy environment, and a healthy economy. We employ 375 Extension Agents, and we have an office in each of Florida’s 67 counties. We attribute our success to a workforce that embraces the contributions of people of all backgrounds and ability levels. The Extension Agent will be a contributor to a community that provides space for innovation, creativity, collaboration, growth, and development for all.
Nassau County is an urbanizing north Florida County with a population of approximately 91,000 and nearly 16,000 of the total population is comprised of youth under the age of 18. The main Extension office is in Yulee, with a satellite office in Callahan. The 4-H agent is expected to serve all portions of the county. We prefer that the Agent resides in Nassau County, as we expected the Agent to become part of the community.
Employment is contingent upon the results of a national background screening. The successful candidate must also complete a background check required by the Nassau County Board of County Commissioners.
In the event of an emergency, all employees considered essential personnel and may be required to perform alternate duties at the county or district level.
Candidates must have the ability to possess (or be able to obtain) a Florida driver’s license, be able to work flexible hours, and the willingness to occasionally work long and irregular hours, including evenings, weekends, and overnight travel.
Candidates will be reviewed as applications are received, but please be aware that interviews might not be scheduled until 4 to 6 weeks after the position closing date. Are you a good match? Apply today!
Commensurate with Education and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree in youth development, education, community development/sociology or a related field. We will accept applicants without a bachelor’s degree if the degree will be earned by May 2023.
- Self-starting, energetic, and team oriented.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills.
- Resourcefulness, creativity, enthusiasm, and innovativeness.
- Good organizational development and management skills.
- Ability to establish solid partnerships and work in teams.
- Ability to use information technology and apply social media to extension work.
- A commitment to positive and proactive customer service.
- Expertise in managing competing priorities and adaptability to handle unexpected situations.
- A commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity, and access (IDEA) guidelines of UF/IFAS Extension and Nassau County.
- A master’s degree. If hired solely with a bachelor’s degree, we want you to continue to grow in your career. As such, we expect you to make at least 50% progress toward obtaining your master’s degree within the first 6 years of employment.
- Experience with youth development or 4-H as a member, leader, or Agent.
- Experience creating lesson plans, developing instructional materials, and applying teaching methods appropriate for a diverse audience.
- A strong commitment to community.
- Experience in supervising, mentoring, and evaluating staff.
- Experience working in multicultural settings.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS:
Apply at Careers at UF by 11:55 p.m. (Eastern) of the posting end date, and attach:
- Cover letter that describes how your experience and qualifications have prepared you for this position
- Résumé or Curriculum vitae
- Unofficial copies of all transcripts (showing coursework) of your academic degrees
The following documents are also required and may either be submitted through the above link at the time of application, or sent separately to our office (below).
- Current and Previous Employment Form
- A minimum of 3 reference rating forms from your professional/academic references. Applicants are responsible for sending the rating form link to their references.
- Reference forms will be kept on file for 1 year and will be automatically used with any of our extension agent positions you apply for during that time.
Reference rating forms and unofficial transcripts not submitted at the time of application should be submitted/postmarked by the next business day after the position’s closing date. They may be submitted to:
UF IFAS Human Resources
Faculty Recruitment and Hiring
P O Box 110281
Gainesville, FL 32611-0281
Fax: (352) 392-3226
Selected candidate will be required to provide an official transcript to the hiring department upon hire. A transcript will not be considered “official” if a designation of “Issued to Student” is visible. Degrees earned from an education institution outside of the United States are required to be evaluated by a professional credentialing service provider approved by National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).
Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the US. The University of Florida is a public institution and subject to all requirements under Florida Sunshine and Public Record laws.
The University of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff. The University and greater Gainesville community enjoy a diversity of cultural events, restaurants, year-round outdoor recreational activities, and social opportunities.
HEALTH ASSESSMENT REQUIRED:No