ry Function of Organizational Unit
The College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences (CAES) has a rich history of innovation and application of cutting-edge technology. From our pioneering Laboratory Animal Science and Landscape Architecture programs to our award-winning Cooperative Extension and Agricultural Research programs, our faculty and staff serve today’s needs while keeping an eye on the future. With programs and expertise in such areas as biotechnology, agricultural and biosystems engineering, natural resources management, waste management, and food microbiology, the A&T College of Agriculture grows concurrently with the demand for qualified graduates. Our four academic departments are the Department of Agribusiness, Applied Economics and Agriscience Education; the Department of Animal Sciences; the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences; and the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Design. Within these departments, students will find a myriad of opportunities for classroom learning, research and field work. Through our Agricultural Research Program and our Cooperative Extension Program, we can research issues of importance to North Carolina and provide research-based outreach training to citizens across the state and around the world.
The Department of Animal Sciences is housed in a 64,000 square foot, 2 story facility. It accommodates modern instructional classrooms, teaching laboratories and faculty research laboratories. The first floor includes a 12,000 square foot environmentally controlled laboratory animal resource unit. Bachelor of Science Degrees are offered in Animal Science, Animal Science (Animal Industry concentration), and Laboratory Animal Science, in addition to The Master of Science Degree in Agricultural and Environmental Systems with a concentration in Integrated Animal Health Systems. The department is supported by beef, poultry, swine, dairy, small ruminants, equine teaching and research facilities. These extended laboratory opportunities, located as part of the University’s fam complex, help to further enhance research capabilities and practical demonstrations for agricultural activities. The department consists of 7 faculty members; 410 undergraduate students and 12 graduate students. The Department of Animal Sciences produces the second highest number of African Americans that go on to pursue the D.V.M in the United States. The department also has one the highest student first-year retention rates on campus, displaying the importance placed upon student success.
Built in 2006, the Dairy Science Unit is a 9600 sq.ft facility, currently set up to demonstrate the pasture-based system of dairy farming. This system is a popular solution for small-scale dairy farmers in North Carolina who are seeking to lower their overhead by providing the bulk of their livestock’s nutritional needs from pasture. The herd is pasture based; receiving 80% of their intake from the pastures or hay, with the other 20% consisting of pelletized feed and corn silage harvested off the farm. The total dairy herd is 50 animals, which include dry cows, calves and the milking herd. Collaborative efforts also take place with the Dairy facilities at the Center for Environmental Farming Systems and Piedmont Dairy Research Center.
- PhD in Dairy Science or Animal Science or Animal Physiology or closely related discipline. A DVM with a graduate degree would also be considered.
- Degree must include at least 30 semester hours in the basic biological and agricultural sciences, 20 semester hours in animal science. At least 10 of the required 20 semester hours in animal science must have been in dairy science. Applicants who have finished course work and are still working on their dissertation may be considered for a conditional appointment and must complete their Ph.D. or graduate degree by December 31, 2020.
Qualifications (Preferred): The following attributes are highly desirable within potential candidates:
- Experience in one of the following disciplines: dairy science, precision farming and data analytics for animal production, pasture based sustainable dairies, or closely related field of study
- Experience in conducting research
- Experience, contacts, and involvement in the dairy industry
- Strong interest in and ability to provide students leadership and mentoring in research
Preferred Years Experience, Skills, Training, Education
Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate the following:
- Primary educational/professional expertise in dairy animals.
- Professional priority for achieving excellence in dairy animal physiology and sustainable environmentally sound management research.
- Ability to develop interdisciplinary collaborations.
- Ability to develop non-formal educational programming as related to dairy production.
- Well-developed and effective oral and written communication skills
- Familiarity with U.S. animal agricultural practices.