Classification Title: Extension Agent I or II – Family and Consumer Sciences
Application deadline: 7 October 2022
Application link: https://explore.jobs.ufl.edu/en-us/job/523839
You Belong at a University that’s Leading the Way
The University of Florida (UF), the flagship university for the state of Florida, is a land grant institution with core values of unique purpose, excellence, integrity, collaboration and partnership, lifelong learning, diversity, responsiveness, innovation, communication, and global reach.
The Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (IFAS) is committed to creating an environment that affirms diversity across a variety of dimensions, including ability, class, ethnicity/race, gender identity and expression. We particularly welcome applicants who can contribute to such an environment through their scholarship, teaching, mentoring, and professional service. We strongly encourage historically underrepresented groups to apply.
If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352-392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800-955-8771 (TDD) or visit Accessibility at UF.
This Extension Agent will work for UF/IFAS Extension and Pinellas County to develop, implement, teach, evaluate, and report accomplishments of a comprehensive family and consumer sciences extension program in cooperation with local citizens and extension colleagues. Educational programs will center on community development, economic development, and healthy family lifestyles. Programs may include housing, financial and money management, family development, nutrition, food safety, and sustainable community development. A minimum of 5% of the Agent’s time will be devoted to 4-H youth programming.
The candidate will be able to:
- Market education programs to reach diverse populations.
- Build a diverse advisory committee composed of citizens and professionals that will assist with program needs, priorities, and design.
- Serve as part of an extension faculty team assisting in planning, teaching, evaluating, and reporting accomplishments of educational programs district wide.
- Develop strategies to deliver, articulate, and communicate complex issues to diverse audiences, including traditional and new technologies in education.
- Secure external funding to support specific programming in the form of public or private grants and contracts.
- Assume other assignments and responsibilities in support of the total extension program as assigned by the County Extension Director and District Extension Director.
- A bachelor’s degree in family and consumer sciences, education, community development, sociology, or a related field.
- Possess or be able to receive HUD Approved Housing Counseling certification (e.g., Neighborworks Training for Homeownership Education/Counseling) within 6 months of employment.
- Must show significant progress towards completing Accredited Financial Counselor (AFC) certification within 3 years of employment.
- Ability to work with community agencies and groups in collaborations and partnerships
- Ability to work cooperatively as a leader and team member
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Resourcefulness, creativity, enthusiasm, and innovativeness.
- High level organizational development and management skills.
- Knowledge and experience in the use and application of information technology and communications applications.
- A master’s degree. If hired solely with a bachelor’s degree, we want you to continue to grow in your career. As such, we expect you to make at least 50% progress towards obtaining your master’s degree within the first 6 years of employment.
- Previous experience with family and consumer sciences extension programs.
- Experience working with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Experience as an Extension Agent.
UF/IFAS employs more than 2,000 faculty and staff statewide. UF/IFAS Extension is a partnership between state, federal, and county governments with a mission of providing quality, relevant education, and research-based expertise to foster healthy people, a healthy environment, and a healthy economy. We employ 375 Extension Agents, and we have an office in each of Florida’s 67 counties. We attribute our success to a workforce that embraces the contributions of people of all backgrounds and ability levels. The Extension Agent will be a contributor to a community that provides space for innovation, creativity, collaboration, growth, and development for all.
Pinellas County residency is preferred, as the Agent is expected to be an active member of the community. The successful candidate will be required to pass a county physical, criminal background check, and drug test.
In the event of an emergency, all employees considered essential personnel and may be required to perform alternate duties at the county or district level.
Pinellas County is located on the west coast of Florida. The county is bordered on the east by Tampa Bay and the west by the Gulf of Mexico. UF/IFAS Extension at Pinellas County is in Largo. The population of the county is approximately 900,000+. Major cities are Clearwater, St. Petersburg, Largo, Seminole, Dunedin. Pinellas County is a diverse and economically vibrant community. Pinellas is a tourist destination with more than 500 miles of coastline, home to the Tampa Bay Rays and multiple other professional sports organizations.
Candidates must be willing to work irregular hours and weekends; occasional overnight travel is required. The candidate must be able to possess and retain a Florida driver’s license and must be willing to travel using personal transportation.
Candidates will be reviewed as applications are received, but please be aware that interviews might not be scheduled until 4 to 6 weeks after the position closing date. Are you a good match? Apply today!
Apply at Careers at UF by 11:55 p.m. (Eastern) of the posting end date, and attach:
- Cover letter that describes how your experience and qualifications have prepared you for this position
- Résumé or Curriculum vitae
- Unofficial copies of all transcripts (showing coursework) of your academic degrees
The following documents are also required and may either be submitted through the above link at the time of application, or sent separately to our office (below).
- Current and Previous Employment Form
- A minimum of 3 reference rating forms from your professional/academic references. Reference forms will be kept on file for 1 year and will be automatically used with any of our extension agent positions you apply for during that time. Applicants are responsible for sending the rating form link to their references.
Reference rating forms and unofficial transcripts not submitted at the time of application should be submitted/postmarked by the next business day after the position’s closing date. They may be submitted to:
UF IFAS Human Resources
Faculty Recruitment and Hiring
P O Box 110281
Gainesville, FL 32611-0281
Fax: (352) 392-3226
Final candidate will be required to provide official transcript to the hiring department upon hire. A transcript will not be considered “official” if a designation of “Issued to Student” is visible. Degrees earned from an education institution outside of the United States are required to be evaluated by a professional credentialing service provider approved by National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES)