The Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences is committed to creating an environment that affirms diversity across a variety of dimensions, including ability, class, ethnicity/race, gender identity and expression. We particularly welcome applicants who can contribute to such an environment through their scholarship, teaching, mentoring, and professional service. We strongly encourage historically underrepresented groups to apply.
If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352-392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800-955-8771 (TDD) or visit Accessibility at UF .
The Univ. of Florida (UF) is a Land Grant institution with core values of unique purpose, excellence, integrity, collaboration and partnership, lifelong learning, diversity, responsiveness, innovation, communication, and global reach. The Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (IFAS) employs more than 2,000 faculty and staff statewide. IFAS Extension employs 375 Extension Agents and has an office in each of Florida’s 67 counties.
Our mission in the Florida Cooperative Extension Service is to partner with communities to provide quality, relevant education, and research-based expertise to foster healthy people, a healthy environment, and a healthy economy. We are the resource that helps educate Floridians to address issues related to agriculture, horticulture, natural resources, youth development, families, and communities.
We hire the best. Diverse views and experience make us strong. We look for people with both academic and people skills who work well in teams, honor their commitments, innovate in a rapidly changing world, and believe in inclusion and diversity. Working for Florida Cooperative Extension will allow you to make a positive impact in your community as you help shape future generations, growing your career while earning a competitive salary and great benefits.
As an Extension Agent and County Extension Director (CED), you will work jointly for UF/IFAS Extension and Putnam County. We are looking for an individual that is self-starting, energetic, and team-oriented with education and skills in human nutrition and health. As the Putnam CED, you will lead, manage, supervise, and coordinate the total county extension program while building effective working relationships with employees, extension administration, county government, community leaders, private sector clientele, media, related agencies, residents, and the general public. Your ability to build cross-organizational capacity and improve the engagement of external stakeholders and partnerships is a vital for success. A focus on strategic planning and critical thinking is important as UF/IFAS Extension and Putnam County Government evolve in response to future economic, social, and environmental trends. You will be located at the UF/IFAS Extension Putnam County office in East Palatka, FL.
What you will do in the CED role:
- Supervise and evaluate county extension faculty and staff who conduct and/or support programs in all extension program areas, including, but not limited to agriculture, residential horticulture, 4-H Youth Development, family and consumer sciences (FCS), community development, local food systems, and sustainability.
- Manage an overall county extension advisory committee.
- Submit and defend a budget from Putnam County government to support the extension office.
- Manage resources efficiently.
- Build strong relationships with county administration, stakeholders, and partners.
- Guide and mentor county faculty and staff, addressing personnel issues professionally and timely.
- Maintain good communications with all related parties.
- Market local extension programs.
- Provide civil rights and equal employment opportunity leadership in the office.
- Assume other responsibilities as assigned by the UF/IFAS Central District Extension Director and the Putnam County Administrator.
What you will do in the Extension Agent role:
- As human nutrition and healthy living are important in Putnam County, you will develop and implement a well-defined and integrated extension program in FCS and community development (including family and individual financial management) to meet community needs.
- Work with a citizen advisory committee to analyze county situations, identify priority issues, advise on program budgets, and implement a variety of educational programs.
- Create an annual Report of Accomplishment (ROA) and a Plan of Work (POW).
- Participate in professional development (including in-service trainings and professional organizations) to stay current in the relevant subject matter area.
- Be familiar with university and county initiatives and priorities.
- Attain permanent status and promotion at appropriate intervals per UF/IFAS guidelines.
- Follow all UF/IFAS Extension and Putnam County policies, as this is a joint state/county appointment.
Prior to appointment, the successful candidate must pass a physical examination, drug screening, and background check.
The CED also serves as the Putnam County UF/IFAS Extension Services Director within Putnam County government, with other duties as assigned. Putnam County government believes its leaders are critical to their team and that full leadership capacity and community involvement is essential.
In the event of an emergency, all Putnam County employees are considered essential personnel and may be required to perform alternate duties.
Extension is a partnership between state, federal, and county governments to provide scientific knowledge and expertise to the public. As such, all partners are involved in the supervision of the office and contribute to the salary and support resources. The primary goal of Extension is to disseminate the latest knowledge and applicable technologies in agriculture, human and natural resources, and the life sciences in order to sustain and enhance the quality of human life. The UF/IFAS mission is accomplished through Extension faculty members, scientists, educators, administrative staff, and volunteers working cohesively throughout Florida’s 67 counties.
Candidates will be reviewed as applications are received, but please be aware that interviews might not be scheduled until 4 to 6 weeks after the position closing date. Are you a good match? Apply today!